Review: Not Quite So Short Stories

27857855Title: Not Quite So Stories
Author: David S. Atkinson
Publication Date: March 1, 2016
Genre: Short Stories Fiction
GoodReads

Synopsis:

The traditional explanation for myth (including such works as the relatively modern Just so Stories by Rudyard Kiping) is an attempt by humans to explain and demystify the world. That’s crap. We may be able to come to terms with small pieces, but existence as a whole is beyond our grasp. Life is absurd, ultimately beyond our comprehension. The best we can do is to proceed on with our lives in the face of that. The stories in this collection proceed from this idea, examining how the different characters manage (and/or fail) to do this.

Not Quite So Stories was one of the oddest books I’ve ever read, in the best possible way.

Let me try to break it down for you – have you ever seen those twitter trends where tweets take a twistΒ in the 140 characters allowed? Well this book is like that except with short stories. Each story was unique, and each story had me absolutely confounded by the end – some due to awe at how deep the short story got, some due to absolute confusion as to why it was even a thing, and some due to annoyance ’cause I really wanted an explanation to why it was a thing (even though the synopsis states clearly that that’s literally the reason why is was written).

I enjoyed about 90% of the stories in this books, the other 10% were okay, but just didn’t appeal to me. Something that was hard to work out for me was taking the work as it was. Often times, I’d flip back pages to figure out if I missed something, when I didn’t, it’s just that the “weird” part of it all wasn’t explained. This both added and detracted from my reading experience.

On one had it was really interesting to read the stories and think, “Hey, that’s really weird and funny” or “I see what you did there, interesting”, while other times I’d be like, “What??”, and then re-read the story from the beginning – leaving it no less confused than when I had read it the first time.

Overall, definitely would recommend. The stories get you thinking about everyday life, as well as get your spirits up. This isn’t a book you have to sit down for a while to read either – each story gives you a dose of happy! My top three stories talk about rolling oranges, toilet paper, and disappearing houses, haha. Check it out – I think there’s something in this book for everyone!

Plot: 4.5/5
Characters: 4/5
World Building: 4.5/5
Writing: 4/5
Cover
: 3/5
Overall Rating: 4/5
GoodReads Rating: 4.48/5

eBook obtained via Roger Charlie in exchange for an honest review.

Advertisements
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  • Flash to the Past

  • Categories

  • Enter your email address to follow my blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 2,036 other followers

  • Upcoming

    forbiddendancetourbanner-1
  • Goodreads

  • Facebook Page

  • This Twit and her Tweets

  • #bookstagrammer

    "I simply remember my favourite things..." 🎢
---
#bookstagram #books #tbr #colours #rainbow #bookishrainbow #tsumtsum #stitch #pikachu #flowers #bookishlove #goodreads #bookstagrammer #booksofinstagram #booknerd Such beautiful end pages! These are found in the Collection of Charles Dickens, Perfect Ruin, Carry On, Talon, and Soldier. I am also in love with the Red Queen end pages! 😍
-
#literaryjune17 : Day 27
End pages
---
#bookstagram #books #tbr #colours #red #blue #charlesdickens #carryon #perfectruin #talon #soldier #juliekagawa #endpages #endpaper #openbook #paper #candle #bookstagrammer #booksofinstagram #booknerd #junebookchallenge #junephotochallenge #bookishlove #goodreads Happy 20th Anniversary to Harry Potter πŸ˜„
-
Bookmarks from @oriandle and @inapaperforest 😘
-
QOTD: Which house are you in? I'm a Hufflepuff 🐝 (there's no badger emoticon haha)
-
#summerbookishcovers17 : Day 26
Book
---
#bookstagram #books #harrypotter #ya #youngadult #middlegrade #paranormal #fantasy #series #bookmarks #book #slytherin #hufflepuff #gryffindor #ravenclaw #goldensnitch #bookishlove #goodreads #bookishjewelry #harrypotter20 #bookstagrammer #booksofinstagram #booknerd
  • Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository
  • Xpresso Book Tours
  • Extra Links

  • website tonight analytics
%d bloggers like this: