Oh god this is hard… As much as I love Harry Potter, Jace Lightwood, Lucas, Puck, Jackal, and Zach… I have to say this one’s a tie between Adrian Ivashkov, from Richelle Mead’s Vampire Academy Series and Bloodlines Series, and Jem Carstairs, from Cassandra Clare’s trilogy, The Infernal Devices.
Adrian Ivashkov: (minor spoilers ahead, just sayin’)
- He’s funny. I love his sarcasm, cockiness, and random randomness in times of distress or during a mission.
“Yeah? Can you draw a skeleton riding a motorcycle with flames coming out of it? And I want a pirate hat on the skeleton. And a parrot on his shoulder. A skeleton parrot. Or maybe a ninja skeleton parrot? No, that would be overkill. But it’d be cool if the biker skeleton could be shooting some ninja throwing stars. That are on fire.”
“That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard,” said the tattooist.
“That’s not what the ladies are going to say,” said Adrian
- Despite his rude comments and attempts to be macho, he’s a huge softy.
- His love for Rose and Sydney, totally different things, but made him a better person in the end.
“Do you still love her? Rose?” Along with not knowing what it felt like to be in love, I also didn’t know how long it took to recover from love.
Adrian’s smile faded. His gaze turned inward. “Yes. No. It’s hard to get over someone like that. She had a huge effect on me, both good and bad. That’s hard to move past. I try not to think about her much in terms of love and hate. Mostly I’m trying to get on with my life. With mixed results, unfortunately.”
“… You asked about Rose? I tried to be a better person for her—but it was to impress her, to get her to want me. But when I’m around you, I want to be better because… well, because it feels right. Because I want to. You make me want to become something greater than myself. I want to excel. You inspire me in every act, every word, every glance. I look at you, and you’re like… like light made into flesh.”
- His dad sucks, his mom kind of sucks, and his aunt, though a tad bit cuckoo, was his favourite person before Rose and her gang came crashing through.
- The fact that he’s pretty doesn’t hurt.
Dream Cast: Chace Crawford
Jem Carstairs: (again, some spoilers ahead)
- He’s so damn nice all the damn time. Even though I sometimes hate that in lit guys, Jem pulled it off with his innocence, understanding, and his ability to forgive almost anything (ALMOST… though in the end I guess he did forgive him for that… -ponders-).
“Until death,” Jem replied gently. “Those are the words of the oath. ‘Until aught but death part thee and me.’ Someday, Will, I will go where none can follow me, and I think it will be sooner rather than later. Have you ever asked yourself why I agreed to be your parabatai?”
“No better offers forthcoming?” Will tried for humor, but his voice cracked like glass.
“I thought you needed me,” Jem said. “There is a wall you have built abuot yourself, Will, and I have never asked you why. But no one should shoulder every burden alone. I thought you would let me inside if I became your parabatai, and then you would have at least someone to lean upon. I did wonder what my death would mean for you. I used to fear it, for your sake. I feared you would be left alone inside that wall. But now… something has changed. I do not know why. But I know that it is true.”
“That what is true?” Will’s fingers were still digging into Jem’s wrist.
“That the wall is coming down.”
- He’s a little bit crazy too. I know I shouldn’t love the crazy characters, but Jem’s so darn lovable.
“Reparations,” said Jem very suddenly, setting down the pen he was holding.
Will looked at him in puzzlement. “Is this a game? We just blurt out whatever word comes next to mind? In that case mine is ‘genuphobia’. It means an unreasonable fear of knees.”
- He’s musically inclined and I wish he was real just so I could hear him play his violin~
- He’s half Chinese and I loved that I knew what he was saying (most of the time) when he spoke Mandarin.
“Wo ai ni, Tessa.” he whispered. “Wo bu xiang shi qu ni.“
- My love for him by the end of the trilogy… ❤ jfdhaskjfasd ALL. MY. LOVE.
Dream Cast: Eiji Wentz